5.14.2006

Happy Mother's Day

Henry came in the house with his fat, dirty little fist crinkling up a single yellow pansy that he'd picked from the neighbor's flower bed. He was saying, "Mama, mama," as he came through the door, and when I answered, "Oh, Henry, did you pick a flower?" he got the brightest smile on his face and started a new chant: "Wah-ter, wah-ter." That's a pretty new word to him, and I couldn't believe he's already figured out that flowers need it. We were headed out the door so I quickly grabbed a plastic cup, put a little water in it, stuck the flower in, and said, "OK, let's go now." But Henry was standing there, looking up at the flower on the counter, his hands behind his back, rocking back and forth and just beaming that I had put his flower in the water, like it was the most beautiful thing in the world. Later when we came home, I noticed his "Wah-ter" had perked the flower up. I thought about his little boy happiness over that one little flower, and it seemed like the most beautiful thing in the world to me, too.

4 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Well...it IS simply the most beautiful thing in the world! I have cherished the memory of the wild flowers my children brought to me over the years. Seriously--I think I have enjoyed those more than any store bought roses!

Well--I like those too! :)

Happy Mother's Day!

Diane

Angela said...

What a developed sense of...sweetness! Good for you for taking the time, even though you were in a hurry. Love the picture. Feliz Dia de Madres. Didn't even learn it from Dora!

someone else said...

This is such a sweet story.

I REALLY like your blog -- you're a natural at it. Thanks for coming by mine (and making me an "honorary redshirt") and please return again. I just finished reading all of yours. I like to start at the beginning because I think some of our best thoughts are in the early writings. I'll be back.

C. H. Green said...

Loved these images!