5.15.2006

ABC Meme

Accent - Straight-up American English. No southern drawl, "Joysie," or LA hip-hop here. Although several acquaintances whose first language is not English have asked me if I am British because they thought I had an accent, and when I lived in Ukraine people thought I spoke Russian with a Baltic accent. Henry Higgins would have a hard time placing me.

Bible book that I like - Romans. Some of my favorite spiritual insights have come from there.

Chore I don't care for - Bathrooms. Blech, blech, blech. David does them most of the time around here. Guess that's something else to think about, too, eh?

Dog or Cat - Neither right now, but never a cat (allergies and dislike). I'd love to have a beagle or a Rhodesian Ridgeback some day. And a turtle who we will name, "Dash."

Essential Electronics - Computer, Refrigerator, Microwave

Favorite Cologne - Can't say I know any colognes. Maybe Gillette aftershave - the best a man can get. (Man, I am prole.) I do love "Realities" for women.

Gold or Silver - Gold.

Handbag I Carry Most Often - None. If it doesn't fit inconspicuously in my pocket, I don't need it. I've had a diaper bag out of necessity, but most of the time I feel like any bags I'm carrying around hinder me more than the stuff inside them has ever come in handy.

Insomnia - From time to time. I'm just starting to sleep well again after a few months of it. David says I just need to learn to turn my brain off at night. Yeah, thanks.

Job Title: See "K"

Kids: Two boys, age 3 1/2 and almost 2.

Living Arrangements: Me and David share a room, Calvin and Henry share a room, and all of the miscellaneous stuff in boxes that we apparently heven't needed to live for the last three months since we moved share the spare room.

Most Admirable Trait: Sincere desire to be good and purposeful.

Naughtiest Childhood Behavior: My sibs would say I was bossy. Mom says I wasn't naughty - mostly got in trouble for doing stuff without thinking first (like riding my hot wheels wearing a new, floor-length tiered sundress she made for me - the tiers of the dress came off one by one around the wheels...); And I once slammed a bowl of oyster soup vehemently across the table when she told me what oysters were, because I was NOT going to eat DEAD fish. Guess I no longer have to wonder about Calvin's strong, but slightly misguided, opinions about such things.

Overnight Hospital Stays: Terrible chicken pox with delirium when I was two or three; the births of my sons.

Phobias: Hair (or other things that shouldn't be) in food; losing my keys, wallet, etc. (which may also account for the handbag issue.)

Quote: "Get a life in which you are not alone. Find people you love, and who also love you. And remember that love is not leisure; it is work." (Anna Quindlen)

Religion: LDS

Siblings: Two sisters, four brothers, all younger than me.

Time I Wake Up: Whenever I hear, "Ma-ma, get ma-ma," and several accompanying kicks to the side of the crib. Who needs an alarm clock?

Unusual Talent or Skill: I can spell pretty much anything, forwards AND backwards (a talent I picked up from elementary school spelling bees and playing Cranium). I love the word floccinaucinihilipilification.

Vegetable I Refuse to Eat: Never ate a vegetable I didn't like. I just like chocolate more.

Worst Habit: I'm a nail biter.

X-rays: I smashed (and locked) my finger in my car door - still don't know how that happened exactly, but it was FLAT when I finally got the door unlocked and open. It wasn't broken, though!

Yummy Stuff I cook: hamburger soup, chicken enchilada casserole, darn good chocolate cake, cinnamon breakfast cake, borscht, varenyky (like the Ukrainian babushky do it!, and potato salad (like my babushka does it!) - If you want recipes, leave a comment, and I'll ask my mom if I can give them to you.

Zoo animal I Like Most: Giraffe. Actually, I like Calvin's re-enactment of the giraffe he saw eating leaves at the zoo last week. And I am a big fan of tiny orange monkeys.

Now I said my ABCs, next time won't you meme for me.

This is the first meme I've ever done! I was tagged by my friend Tess, who got it from Morning Glory, who has one of my newly-discovered favorite blogs. Not even sure how to pronounce "meme" - is it just like it's spelled, with a long "e," or is it fancy French, like "meh-meh?" This blogosphere is a whole new world... Anyway, meh-meh-ing was fun, so Angela - TAG, you're it. And anyone else who wants to reinvent the ABCs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya! I haven't talked to you in a quite a long time, but just wanted to say that I love your blog. I've been meaning to tell you for a while, but you know, haven't gotten to it.

Anyhow, the word "meme" is pronounced with a long "e". A meme is like a thought gene in a sense, a piece of information that propogates and spreads itself. Check out the wikipedia article for a more thorough treatment of the subject, or read Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene" where it was coined. Interesting book. It's fascinating to me how the term has really caught on lately... it must be a successful meme!

Code Yellow Mom said...

Camille!! So great to hear from you! And thanks for the info on meme. I am a little disappointed that I can't say it my fancy French way anymore, since I now know better, but now every time I use the term, I will feel like a cultural scientist. That's better than feeling French, anyway. :)

You're welcome to my neck of the blogosphere anytime!

the lizness said...

you were made to do a meme, that was so fun to read.

I always think of 'meme' as 'me!me!', you know, because it's all about me. Or you, as this meme would be.

I will go back to my cave now...

Code Yellow Mom said...

Tess, if I ever get a chance to tag you for a meme, I am going to call it a youyou. I like that a LOT. :)