3.06.2007

My Week as a Mother of Six

Auntie S and her husband went to the Bahamas this week to celebrate their wedding anniversary, so we're stepping in to sit on her kids and sit on her house while they are gone.

We live just down the road from each other, so we sleep at her house but I run back and forth a bit in the day since we didn't officially pack suitcases to go live there for the week.

We're having lots of fun with not only my two preschoolers, but her preschooler, elementary schooler, middle schooler, and high schooler. They are all great kids, but it is four different bus/carpool schedules, varying degrees of homework focus, and a few extracurriculars thrown in, just so I can enjoy the total mini-van experience.

Bless my husband's heart - he is doing the 5 a.m. wake-up calls with the older boys so I can sleep in a bit before my day begins with the under-4 crowd.

So far, so good. But whew! It's a good thing I wasn't given six children right off the bat to raise. One at a time, one at a time...

Tomorrow promises to be interesting...Not only do I get to glug glucola and have my blood drawn, but it also looks like there will be enough snow for school to be cancelled.

Yep, it's the total experience for me this week.

14 comments:

the lizness said...

so are you shooting for 6? one at at time?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun and a challenge all rolled into one! Hope your day goes smoothly!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am very impressed with your mothering skills. To juggle the schedules of 6 different kids is not an easy feat. Good luck ... don't pull out too much hair :) !!

MotherT said...

Two was more than enough for me. I used to babysit 3 more children while my girls were young (one of the others was hearing and BEHAVIOR impaired), and I thought I was going to lose my ever-loving mind! I'm impressed that you have the strength to tackle extras at your stage of pregnancy! You go, Girl!

megachick said...

wow, i'm impressed. i'm not sure i would be willing to take on that challenge. good luck.

oh, and try the lime-flavor--tastes like freeze-pop concentrate.

Scribbit said...

Makes me wonder how my mom did it with her six kids every day.

Unknown said...

Can I tell you that reading the topic almost gave me convulsions? No, no. That's nice of you to babysit, and I'm sure that your boys are having a blast.

The Amazing Trips said...

Oh come on ... you could handle more than one at a time!! At least when they're little, if they get too rowdy, you can load them in to the big CYM bouncing ball (did you ever score one of those?) and push it around the yard!!!

BTW - thanks for the Friday high-5 last week!! :)

megachick said...

oh, and just think how easy it will be to go back to only corralling two kids.

Geologychick said...

six - I can hardly handle one! You go girl!!

someone else said...

Just checking in hoping you're surviving.

Millie said...

Ugh, glucola. The bane of the pregnant woman. Hope it goes fast and they find an un-ouchy vein for you. Sounds like you're doing well with all the kiddoes - good luck!

Pam said...

I totally understand now why lots of women have their kids so close together. It's much easier when it comes to scheduling and planning, etc. It's hard when you've got a highschooler, a middle schooler and then 2 little ones. School times are different, playdates, trying to find activities you can all enjoy...I'm already tired:)

Sounds like you are doing a great job. BTW, I totally don't miss that glucose test:)

Gina Conroy said...

Just checking in. It's been a while. Good to see you're surviving six! And just think about the day you'll get to drop your kids off with them for a week!