3.01.2007

Wearing the Pants

Standing in the kitchen, as I am wont to do, filling another sippy cup, Henry is tugging on the rear pockets of one of my many pairs of pants that will not stay up. I'm about to be really annoyed with the tugging when Henry starts a little song in what I like to call his googoobabyvibrato:

(Right pocket! Tug!) Hmm, hmm
(Left pocket! Tug!) Hmm, hmm
(Both pockets together! Tug!) Pocket pulls a posey!

Nice, huh?

Incidentally, whoever thought "low-rise" and "maternity" were a good combo obviously didn't have a real body or else didn't keep their prototype pants on long enough to know it wasn't possible to keep them on. Even if you don't have a pint-size pocket-pulling singer in the house. Unless you buy them two sizes smaller than you would normally wear. And that just can't be good for a growing uterus, if you ask me.

And while we're on the topic of pants, this little interchange cracked me up:

Cal: I need you to unbutton my pants again! I gotta goooo....

(I get them unbuttoned and he runs to the bathroom - this is the fourth or fifth time that he's needed help with the buttons today. I make a note to myself not to put those pants on him again, not because I mind helping him, but because I know it bugs him not to be independent.)

Cal: (on his way to the bathroom) I'm just going to leave these pants off after I'm done.

(I'm thinking, okie dokie. The day's almost over anyway, we're not going anywhere...)

Cal: (Back at my knee after the bathroom) I need you to button these.

Me: I thought you were just going to leave them off.

Cal: Weeeelllll...I just don't want Dad to come home and say, "Why are you running around half-nekkid?"

Oh dear. I think I might have cared about something like that once. Of course, maybe it's not so much me not caring anymore as David knowing intuitively that he better not pose such a question to me.

8 comments:

the lizness said...

Your kids are so blessed with funniness!

someone else said...

Somehow the words "low-rise" and "maternity" just should not be put in the same frame of reference. Oh my -- blind my mind's eye! Too funny!

Anonymous said...

HA! Funny! My kids have not yet reached the point where they care if they are "nekkid" or not!

An Ordinary Mom said...

Low-rise maternity pants should be banned and completely outlawed. Where do I sign such a petition?

Unknown said...

I bought my first pair of low-rise maternity pants this past pregnancy. I lasted one day in them when they unceremoniously fell down when we were at the local Butterfly Pavillion. I returned them the next day. Like pregnancy isn't embarrassing enough....

Pam said...

Seriously, your kids say the funniest things ever:)

low-rise maternity pants are awesome in theory but not in the real world, well at least not for me anyways:) I was so excited when they came out with these and had to go buy several pairs. I worked for the city while I was pregnant with Little D and I'm quite certain there is still news footage of me hiking up my pants every time I stood up as I had the most amazing ability to always be in the background of whoever they were interviewing for the local news that day. Ugh...

megachick said...

my mother and step-mother went shopping together with my daughter and my nieces and came back with a pair of low-rise maternity jeans. once i tried them on, i called them hoochie mama jeans. clothes like that are what get women pregnant, not what pregnant women wear. and i wouldn't wear them EVER! i got pregnant in my good old flannel pajama pant set.

my pooka LOVES to be 'maked'. again last night she asked to be naked through the bedtime story. she doesn't care who sees her. she gets it from my mother...

Unknown said...

Oh, that boy would fit in around here. My husband does not think that nekkid (and that's just how my mom said it, too) kids are cute. Or half-nekkid as the case may be.