3.02.2007

Friday High Five

It's been a week around here, for sure. I have a couple pop culture indulgences before I get to my blogging high five...

Besides the family flu-bug roller coaster and house in disarray, Veronica Mars, you're breaking my heart. Please don't be done forever. You're pretty much my only TV addiction. You can't leave me now.

And then I'm having my own personal standing ovation for Leslie who got voted off American Idol last night - anyone who can make a little joke on herself impromptu like that (right before the end cut) has got personality and spunk. It was funny and endearing. And it's a complete mystery to me why Sundance, Sanjaya and Antonella are still standing. I feel for them, I really do, but America, come on.

My blogging big high five this week goes to the following posts. Some of them are high fives to me because I read them just when I needed them, but they are all good stuff. Go check 'em out and give 'em a high five of your own!

1. From An Island Life - This is a quick but hilarious read: a list of children's book titles you'll never see. I'm still laughing. And the comments will make your sides ache.

2. From Dandelion Mama - Surfacing is a poetic and articulate rendering of motherhood at one of its lowest - and yet finest and most honest - moments. One of those, "I wish I had said that!"

3. From Beck at Frog and Toad are Still Friends - Missing. Loved how she expressed the sentiment here. Brought back feelings of my summer without David, and how nice it really is when the ones who drive you nuts are at home with you.

4. From Jen at Amazing Trips - Toddler Toga Party is one of the most apt analogies I have read in a good long time. Lighthearted but so true. Jen's triplets and her love and energy with them are amazing, but her humor lends such comic relief to my own day.

5. From World of One Thousand Things - Visible Women is a fabulous description of three different women trying to make it to a college degree. I'm seriously soul-searching this whole question in my own life at the moment and haven't been able to blog about it myself because I can't articulate all the things it brings up without bawling most days. This post got me...right there. It is so thoughtful and poignant, it's worth a read by everyone who's ever been an invisible support or tried to find her role or had to choose between two really great things.

And I couldn't stop at just five this week, so...

6. From Superhero Journal - This post offered the sweetest idea of a Pact. Sometimes we really do expect ourselves to be stronger or more fearless than we are, when there are so many friends who would be glad to see us through...

7. From On the Banks of the Rio Grande - Another insight on the phenom of blogging and the occasional insecurity that accompanies it. I giggled at the virtual imagery in this post, and I sooooo related to the feeling.

Happy weekend! Next week can only be better. Right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these! I will check them out!

Super Happy Girl said...

Greats picks again.
Superhero Journal's is Teh Awesome!
Loved it.

Scribbit said...

A great list, thanks for putting it together.

And can I respectfully say that picture on the sidebar is truly horrifying? :) I think it's the teeth.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I really enjoyed #7, so thanks for making it the Friday High Seven this week :)!!

tracy m said...

Hey, thanks for the nod and the link... You're a good friend of Millie's Chicken, aren't you?

Catherine said...

Thanks for making it a high seven this time. And for adding me to the repertoire!

Also, I totally agree with about Leslie... America let me down... although I guess can't complain too much since I didn't participate in the voting. :/

Off to check out some of your other blogging links...