2.13.2007

Genetics and Super Powers

There are things about each of my boys that I can pick out and say - That's me. Or, That's David. A trip to the grocery store the other day had me pinpointing Cal's inherited traits pretty clearly:

He put California rolls, dark chocolate truffles and purple tulips into the cart and credibly talked me into each one of them. My child.

(The tulips were especially precious, because he spotted them first thing when we walked in the door and I told him that they would get crushed in the cart, but we could pick them up right before we checked out. He disappeared partway through our shopping only to reappear a minute later with the tulips cradled in his arms: "I will hold them just like this and they won't get crushed. That way no one else can buy them before we get done. And we can take them to our house and put them in the window so they will bloom and bloom.")

Riding in the car home from the grocery store, he asked after some quiet minutes, "Mom, when you turn off a light, where does the electricity for that light go?" Now, have I ever thought of that? No. Do I know? No. Have I ever cared to know? Actually, not really. David's child.

(I told him he would have to ask his dad about that one. So we called David when we got home and I heard Cal ask, and David's answer apparently provoked a follow-up question, "And what if all the lights in the house are off? Where does all the electricity from all those lights go?")

So, the summary of genetic manifestation in Calvin: Inclinations toward the delicious, fattening, aesthetic or sentimental - Me. Inclinations toward acquiring unprecedented amounts of information and knowledge on how or why everything and everyone does what they do - David.

***

A question that has surfaced a few times in the past couple weeks which David has handed over to me for the answering is, "How does the baby get out?"

I don't really have a problem answering these kinds of things, and long ago determined to be as up front and clear about answering questions like this in an age appropriate manner whenever my kids are asking. But I've put off this discussion for a bit because of visions in my head that my knowledge-imparting (David's child) four-year-old will share everything he knows about the birth canal to his Primary class at church just as the room gets really quiet...

Anyway, the subject was covered today because he caught the last bit of A Baby Story on TLC. I kinda did it on purpose, letting him see that. Maybe not the best strategy, but he's my first child and keeps asking, so I know he needs to know. And he took it all in stride, without an excessive amount of shock or disgust or whatever I was expecting. He actually seemed fairly impressed.

Which is why he needed to share the info at dinner with his Dad, who he knows enjoys great and interesting pieces of knowledge. So as we were finishing talking about the opening that mommies have that stays really small until the baby has grown big enough to be born and then it opens up to let the baby out, he concluded excitedly, "And then the lady counts to ten lots of times and the baby just comes out!" Yep. "Babies are pretty messy when they're first born. But they're so cute and tiny!" A little pause, then, "But how come only mommies get to have babies? What do men get to do?"

Now THAT is a question that unfortunately few people have ever posed or really considered. I love how my boy thinks, and that he really made me understand in a moment that being a woman and being able to have a baby is one of the most powerful, priceless and precious gifts of life.

***

And then there is the question today I had no answer for. Cal even prefaced it with, "I've been thinking of this one question...that I just don't know." I thought, Uh-oh. Here it comes. But having been successful with the baby getting out conundrum, I asked him what was on his mind. He asked, genuinely perplexed, "How can ONE person take care of TWO boys?" I told him, smiling to myself, that I honestly do not know. So he asked his dad.

His dad told him that the person had to be a superhero.

I love these guys.

20 comments:

T.S. Eliot said...

Ah! How can you have me laughing and crying all at the same time? Great, hilarious, touching Code Yellow Post.

Amanda said...

Yes, laughing and crying all within a matter of mere seconds. How sweet and touching!

the lizness said...

great kids - you must be a GREAT MOM!!!

someone else said...

Oh my goodness, this is a masterpiece! Here's to the superheroes among us!!

Super Happy Girl said...

Count me in the "I was laughing -crying" CYM club.
A beautiful post, so touching, what else can I say? you rock, David's kids rock, David rocks.

Real said...

Yeah, you are a superhero to bunch of great guys! So sweet. I love talking to my kids about birth when they are little.

Angela said...

I LOVE the comparisons in Cal that are you and David. You couldn't have made up two better examples if you tried!!

I also love the story of Calvin learning about how the baby gets out.

"What do men get to do" Yeah, um, NOBODY asks THAT question. You must really be doing something right there T!

Your husband is a gem, what an answer! And he's right.

Linds said...

I am here from Morning Glory... I loved this post! And I agree that your husband is a complete gem!

Jennifer B. said...

Great post. Thank you!

Carina said...

Oh, that is so true. My men as just as precious. I can already see both my husband and I in our three-year-old, and in exactly the same ways that you did with Cal. Exactly!

Linda said...

I have come to visit on Morning Glory's recommendation, and I'm so glad I did. What a great post. You are a wonderful writer. I was right there with you. You little one is precious, your husband just great, and you are a superhero.

Miss Notesy said...

That is so cute and so sweet! I love the flower bit.

And every mom is a superhero! :-)

Pam said...

lol! Isn't it funny how kids can be so different?

So sweet about the flowers:)

Carole Burant said...

I'm here via Morning Glory's blog:-) Reading your story reminded me so much of when my two boys were young like that...oh boy, the questions they would ask! lol When mine were "bad" they were dad's boys...when they were "good" they were mine! hehe Truly enjoyed this, thank you!! Happy Valentine's Day!! xox

Katherine@Raising Five said...

¨Inclinations toward the delicious, fattening, aesthetic or sentimental¨- that would be both my husband AND me. Uh-oh. I guess no one´s going to get unprecedented amounts of information (genetically, anyway) around here...But they´ll enjoy what little they get, anyway, I guess!

Susie said...

I'm here from Morning Glory's. Loved this post! Reminds me of the times when my own kids were small! Your four year old sounds quite wise for his years!
:)

MotherT said...

We are going through the "questions" the second time around. Our grandson, David Riley, is 5, and VERY CURIOUS! And the Wonder Husband and I look at each other and say "Yep, he's Liz's nephew!", or "Yep, he's Jessica's child!" and occasionally, "He's just like his Dad!" It's so much fun to watch family characteristics take on a new generation! And, yes, every Mom is a superhero!

someone else said...

Stopping by to say Happy Valentine's Day!

megachick said...

good answer, dad!
it is amazing to see the characteristics so clearly in your child. sometimes, you don't really want to, though. they do something that is not so good and you say, "oh crap. they got that from me."

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi! I came from Morning Glory's blog. She's right. You have an amazing blog. This is your first entry that I have read so far but I know I'll be back. I just love hearing about your trip to the grocery and how you came up with "summary of genetic manifestation" of your child. Very cute and amuzing. I have a 3-yr old child and my husband and I just enjoy associating his behavior and preferences with our own. It's amazing how children grow up so fast and I'm enjoying each day. I discover many things about my son each day. A blessing I'm grateful for.