11.09.2006

I'm Gettin' My Blog On

All of a sudden (a phrase that makes me cringe when I read it in real writing - it's "suddenly," people, "suddenly!" - but I digress...) All of a sudden, I have five six semi-legitimate things to really blog about. Five Six whole posts, probably. That hasn't happened since...oh, I don't know...late August? Are you happy for me? Code Yellow's got her groove back. Or something.

First up for tonight is the tag I received from Rhythmless to do a Pop Culture Meme. I can't believe I am even going to try - it will demonstrate my complete lack of pop-culture-knowitiveness, and Auntie S in particular will be so disappointed. But for Rhythmless and her daughter's pigtails, I would do just about anything. So here goes:

Favorite Song Intro: This is the only one of the items on this meme that I actually had a ready answer for, but it's no less embarrassing because it's um, obscure? I mean, the song is familiar, but I bet no one has listened and listened to the intro, just to hear the cool bass pluck - bum, bum, bum, ba, budda, bum: Chicago's "Hard to Say I'm Sorry." I also really, really love the piano intro to "Sailing Away" by Styx.

Favorite Movie Quote: There's a Jane Austen one for just about every social situation conceivable, and I love to throw them in whenever possible, especially when there's only about one other person in the room who knows where it came from and why it's funny applied to the modern circumstance...But "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" is truly quotable gold ("You like it? It's horse. I kilt it last Tuesday. I think it's startin' to turn."), as is Lonesome Dove ("I like to kick a pig ever now and then.") Incredibles is at the top of my list at the moment. ("It's just another way to celebrate mediocrity!" and, "Leave saving the world to the men? I don't think so!" and, "If we're going to make this work, you're going to have to be more than Mr. Incredible. You know that, don't you?" and...)

Favorite Musical Character: My favorite live performance was Eponine the first time I saw Les Mis on Broadway. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful. I also thoroughly enjoy The Unsinkable Molly Brown - oldie but goodie. And one can never go wrong with Eliza Doolittle.

Favorite Hair Band: Um. I had to ask what exactly this meant and peak at how Rhythmless answered. I realized that hair bands were the ones I thought were intrinsically evil as a teenager, and who I really enjoy now as fun listening. So...moving on...

Favorite Reality Series: Say "reality TV" and I immediately think of the more trashy shock-value shows out there, and I really just hate them. But I'm good with American Idol. And Trading Spaces (but only with Paige), Clean Sweep, or What Not To Wear. I once watched an episode of Trading Spouses. Oh, and I did get sucked into the very ill-edited premier season of Unanimous. Most of them just prove too much for my sensibilities and I froth about the state of society for days. I'm actually pretty selective about TV and I don't really like to support smut raking and amoral obnoxiousness. How's that for self-righteous snobbishness?! Actually what it really is, is that if I'm going to watch questionable/reprehensible behavior, I prefer it to be absolutely fictional rather than pretending to represent a reality that is nowhere near reality.

Worst Celebrity Nickname Ever: TomKat bugs me to no end.

So, there you have it, Rhythmless. Hope I didn't disappoint you. (wink)

7 comments:

Angela said...

Not a chance. I was thinking there might be some surprises, but not really---although, listening to 80's hair bands for fun now was a bit of a surprise. I do the same, but I didn't know you did.
Your soapbox about reality tv REALLY made me laugh. I mean, that WAS a soapbox!
Thanks for playing. I feel like I can really get a read on you now.

T.S. Eliot said...

"O Brother..." is so quotable... My favorite is
"We thought you was a TOAD!"

Super Happy Girl said...

Suddenly bum, bum, bum, ba, budda, bum. Obscure? I love that song!

"And after all that's been said and done
You're just the part of me I can't let go
ooooh bup bup bup bup
Couldn't stand to be kept away
Not for a day
From your body
Wouldn't want to be swept away awaaaaaaaay
Far away from the one that I love"
(Cetera-less video here)

Oh Brother is so quotiful (quotiful): "Is you is, or is you ain't, my constituency?", good times.

Dawn said...

I hope nobody asks me to do this one - I couldn't begin to answer most of them - except the reality show one - American Idol only. And I resisted that for several seasons. I agree totally with the TomKat thing - I totally cannot stand that whole scenario.

Good stuff! You're like me, though in one way - I used to have a whole list of future blog topics and "all of a sudden" I ran out - have been having to wrack my brain. Weird!

Millie said...

Yay, you did such a good job with it! :) I love "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" as well. Those awesome early 80s power ballads... sigh...

Unknown said...

Chicago--oh, yeah, that's a great tune.

One down, but several days have gone by and where are the other five? You must stick with the groove.

Unknown said...

Too fun! Though I dunno: J-Lo and P. Diddy were pretty dang annoying as well!