11.06.2006

Ah, The Love...

This morning at about 6:20 a.m., Cal and Henry wallering snuggling me...

Calvin: You know that other night when we went downstairs and got a drink in the middle of the night?

Me: Yeah.

Calvin: And remember when you held my hand to walk back up the stairs and when we were on the first level? (That means the stair landing between floors)

Me: Yeah.

Calvin: Well, see this little owie right here?

Me: (straining my bleary eyes to see what he's talking about - some little old scratch on his ankle bone) Mmmhmm.

Calvin: You scratched me with your toe when we were walking on the stairs that night after you gave me a drink and that's where I got that owie from.

Me: Oh. I sure didn't know that I did that. I'm sorry.

Calvin: That's OK. (His little arm slides across me and he squeezes just a little.) I still love you.

I honestly remember no foot-scratching incident on the midnight drink excursion in question (3 or 4 days ago), but I'm sure glad it's all cleared up now and that he still loves me. Hope he'll be as forgiving sometime when I do something that really needs it.

14 comments:

Angela said...

Wow, you are a lot more conversationaly at 6:20 am than I have ever been.

I love how he doesn't overwhelm you with all the facts straight up, and slowly takes you back to that perilous night with the attacking toe.

Anonymous said...

that's okay - last night as we were drifting off to sleep I watched as The Rev (out of nowhere) stuck his pointer finger in the air.

it was quite humorous, but I didn't want to post that on my own blog.

:) *evil grin*

someone else said...

Awww, that's so sweet. It's amazing what sticks in their little minds, isn't it?

Super Happy Girl said...

Aww, what a cute little guy.
To think he could have lost a limb, yet he still loves you.

It's time to trim those toe nails sister.

Kathryn Thompson said...

That is what they term "a close call." Phew! I'm glad that's all taken care of.

Tammy said...

My four year old remembers these little offences that I didn't even know about, too...and still loves me, as well!

Such a sweet story and I could really relate to the scenero.

Gina Conroy said...

How sweet! Isn't it funny what kids remember.

Pam said...

My daughter once tripped on the sidewalk. She was walking with my mom and she must have been about 3 years old at the time. Anyhow, she tripped and my mom felt it so she just tugged her by the arm a little to keep her from falling all the way. So they get home and Belle is telling me how she tripped and then, "Grammie, dragged me along the sidewalk, like this." And she proceeded to lay down on the floor and drag herself several feet across it. Oh the drama of it all! Stories of actual events from a kids perspective are the BEST!

Nancy said...

Oh how sweet... treasure each moment they grow up fast. I posted about my grown up little one today. What a blessing!

Dawn said...

I love it!! Little Feisty is sweet like that, always rubbing arms and saying "I love you very, very much." Such fun these little ones are! I trust that he will continue being that forgiving, as you said!

Millie said...

It's funny that he mentions the sweet hand-holding and the foot-injuring in the same story. He's fair and balanced.

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I'm glad he still loves you!

Unknown said...

That is soooo sweet!

Diane Viere said...

Ahhhhh! so sweet!

I miss those days....my children are all taller than me! No more snuggling....still some wallering though!

Diane