8.15.2006

Day 74: State of the Code Yellow Family Members

First of all, huge THANK YOU to Jules at Everyday Design for my spanky new blog look. Do you love it?

Second, I don’t have a picture of the paper chain because Henry dropped my camera in a tidal pool and it has not yet recovered from the sand and water shock.

Just so you know, the camera was in a snapped pocket of my purse that was in the bottom of the diaper bag, I hadn’t even had it out where he could know I had it with us on the beach, and he found it and carried it away in less than two minutes while I had my back turned playing with Calvin. He has a sixth sense for knowing where techno-thingamajigs are, and an amazing capability for procuring them when my back is turned. It is unreal.

In defense of my non-obliviousnes, I did do a very good slow-motion run across the sand – “Heeeeeeeennnnnnnrrrrrryyyyyyyyy!!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!” But he made it to the puddle before I made it to him. And it frustrates me beyond measure, so I won’t talk about it anymore.

But about the paper chain, it’s down to one swag across the doorway and a few links hanging down the left side. Very impressive. Take my word for it.

For new readers, my husband is out of the country since June, until September. So, on this "Day 74 Without Dad," how do things look?

Calvin is alternately super cuddly and super screamy. And really sentimental about doing things with Dad, sending things to Dad, and saving things (like PBJ sandwiches) for when Dad gets home. I lose my patience the most with him, and I know he is probably the one that needs me to keep it together and offer security the most right now. So we’ll work on that.

Henry is talking so much and has actually changed the most of all of us over the summer. (Sorry, Husband – my “svelte babe” goal hasn’t panned out the way I would have liked.) I think Henry has gotten taller, and he is definitely more little-boyish than little-toddlerish. I think Dad will be most surprised by Henry when he gets back.

I, the Mom, am doing surprisingly well. (Except the patience thing, but that’s an issue whether Dad is out of the country or not.) Frankly, I miss the companionship, conversation, and really good kissing more than I miss sharing the childcare and other home responsibilities. I went into this thinking that as time wore on, I would have a more and more difficult time keeping afloat, physically and emotionally. But it’s not so bad anymore, we've ahd a lot of diversions, and a month doesn’t seem like that long before he will be home again. Maybe that’s why I’m doing OK – there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

He will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Dad is having the hardest time at the moment. I mean, no home-cooked meals, no bedtime stories, no toddler conversation, no beach vacation, and no one around who knows his wife or kids or feels the same way about them as he does. (At least we here at home can share the missing feeling with other people who know and love him.) Only business of the utmost stressful importance all the time, hecka overtime hours, and hot weather. Not to mention that fact that neither of us are good phone talkers. All of it has begun to take its toll. Not that he’s a baby whiner about it or anything, I can just tell. And I have to say, it’s kinda nice to be missed. So maybe he shouldn’t correct me if I’m wrong.

At any rate, the countdown to his homecoming is about to begin, and we’ve done it! The summer stretched out before us and looked so daunting and almost interminable, but as I hear about kids going back to school, and the sunsets start coming a tiny bit earlier, I realize the dog days of our summer apart are coming to a close, and our family will be on the same side of the ocean again before we know it.

I can’t wait!

14 comments:

someone else said...

I was thinking yesterday that I wondered what the paper chain looked like now. I've felt privileged to go through this summer "with" you. You've been remarkable in the things you've shared with us and my admiration for your strength has grown hugely. Your family must be extremely proud of you.

Let's hear it for the Countdown!

someone else said...

Oh--and I love the new look. The flowers in the truck are a very nice touch.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Your new look is awesome! Jules did a great job.

Sorry about the camera...I'll miss seeing your pictures until it's back among the living. And I bet your husband is missing you like crazy and will be thrilled to get home.

Anonymous said...

I will be home in just a little more than a month! Wahoooooo! My four months away has really increased my appreciation for soldiers away from their families for a year or more doing one of the hardest jobs in the world. Won't be long now...

Super Happy Girl said...

Waaaah, to bad about the camera, same thing happen to mine, the difference: DH dropped it, in a waterfall. It did recovered but the thingy that holds the batteries broke, so we had to hold it with rubber bands...yeah, really really fashionable.
Anyways, perhaps yours will recover.

I want to see the paper chain!, are you putting a counter for the "days left until good kissing"? how many PB&J sandwiches has he tried to save?

OOOHHHH, so exciting!

the lizness said...

WAYYYY cooler than the monkey idea you were toying with! And I can't believe the summer is almost over, that is good for you.

Millie said...

I'm so happy Hubby will be home soon! I hear you about the really good kissing. That's what I would miss, for sure. :)

Amanda said...

Great news that your husband will be back in a month. I think I would miss the kissing and snuggling the most too. Hang in there for your last month!
ps Is he military? We live in a military ward and always have deployments. Just wondered.

Anonymous said...

First, I LOVE your new design. Jules is fab. And second, Godspeed to your sweet partner. May he get home safe and soon.

Dawn said...

I didn't realize you were alone this summer - sounds like you've been doing a great job and have a great reunion ahead soon!

T.S. Eliot said...

LOVE the new look. I'm really impressed at how well you've held up all summer. The paper chain was such a clever idea. I hope the boys are as excited about it skrinking as you are. They've got a great mom!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Love your new look. The flowers add such a nice touch to the Tonka truck.

I can't believe it either. Seems like yesterday you were in angst about him leaving in a few weeks. I'm so proud of you. This is one of those family history chapters that will be repeated on through the generations at the Code Yellow house. Your great-granddaughters will say, "Grandma Code Yellow lived back in the days of the pioneer bloggers. How did she ever do it with such shoddy technology?" You made do, didn't you?

Nettie said...

Yay! I am so glad you are doing so well. Sounds like you've adapted to his being away quite well. We're proud of you! Soon, we'll get to hear about you adapting to him being back. But what a nice thing to have to do that will be!

And yay for your new blog look, too!

Anonymous said...

I checked in just to see how much longer for the ole' man to get home:) so sorry to hear NO pics. And patients comes when you are a grandma-(I think).