7.15.2009

Practically Perfect in Every Way

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but we have now had four taxi rides, two bus rides (one of which was at the end of a very long, walking-intensive day), and an entire day at the zoo in which the boys acted like someone else's children.

No, they still acted like my children, only better. Stayed in their seats. Buckled up without strangling eighty billion reminders or slamming the folding taxi seats up and down or pushing all the buttons (there are a lot of those in a black cab). Came happily when it was time to move on or go home. Cooperated with one another and with me. Stopped and held hands to cross streets. Didn't scream or hit in public.

It's been loverly. Truly.

The London Zoo is fabulous, by the way. I'm a big fan of the National Zoo in D.C., of course, mostly because it is free, but London does a zoo right. And we even got to see the snake window that featured in the first Harry Potter movie.

On the home front, I feel a little guilty because I have mostly given up home cooking, but I have a plethora of good excuses: (1) grocery shopping / food preparation here has me baffled (we're in the midst of the commuting city, and going to a larger supermarket is WAY more trouble than it is worth), (2) the oven doesn't work in our apartment right now (there is a dirth of foods at the small grocery that can be cooked on the stovetop or in the microwave - also odd, huh?), and (3) we are enjoying the availability of semi-wholesome food that comes from reliable sources, not to mention (4) Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken (although they don't have extra crispy OR mashed potatoes and gravy here. What?!) within walking distance, (5) I'm pregnant and really don't feel like thinking up what to eat, what to buy to fix it, how to fix it, and how to get my kids to eat it when it's fixed, and (6) it's too hot to cook. Really.

I do want to say that I've been toasting a lot of English muffins in the mornings for breakfast. English muffins are to die for here, if you can imagine. And they have the most delicious jam.

So, things this week are better.

I still miss Hubs and we've watched a little more Scooby Doo Where Are You than I would like to admit or would ever like to watch again, but it's OK. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...

4 comments:

Real said...

Sounds wonderful!

Real said...

Also, I just sent you that email I said I would. Let me know if you receive it!

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

I love going to the zoo. Even at 45,I like looking at the animals (I also enjoy watching the grandchildren looking at the animals.
Jams=YUM.
As for Scooby-Doo, I just bought a dvd tat has 15 hours of Scooby on it (a four disc set).

Linda Stahr said...

It must be the encounter with the front end of the vehicle... has all of the children scared! It does sound nice to be able to go out without the "stop hitting each other. stop yelling at each other. Do you have your seatbelt on? Should you be touching that? Please keep your hands to yourself" comments... Someday I may get there...

As for cooking... we're still operating without a "working" kitchen. Our wood cook stove is in place, but not installed. I do a lot of cooking on the barbecue (I've even made brownies!), and a lot of cooking on the griddle (please, not another pancake...), and then there's the good old electrical skillet. It's an amazing invention.

Ah well... someday I'll get to enjoy a REAL english muffin (my favorite breakfast food, by the way), and I'm really hoping to have well behaved children someday too... maybe when they're 18 and out of the house...

Glad to hear you're doing better.