7.07.2008

A Nice Feeling

I finally settled on a date for a birthday party for Henry. (Four years old is a big one around here, and Calvin had a "friend party" for his fourth - Henry has been waiting anxiously for his turn.) So today I had to get to the store for invitations so I can mail them right away.

I had no choice but to take my three boys and the houseguest's boy with me. They actually behaved themselves, but it ended up being a three-stop expedition and every time we got out of the car into a parking lot I felt pretty insane.

At the last store, as I was telling my boys to stop right where they were (for the millionth time) while I unbuckled Charlie, I heard a mom telling her child to stop right where he was while she was getting a baby out of the shopping cart at the door. Her voice sounded like she had said it for the millionth time, too.

We passed each other in the parking lot - she coming out, me going in. She had two boys holding her hand in a chain and a toddler on her hip and was seven or eight months pregnant. I had three little boys holding my hand in a chain and a toddler on my hip. Our eyes met and I smiled and said, "I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one." She laughed out loud and said, "I'm so glad to know it's still possible to make it out of the house with four."

Little exchanges like that make me happy. Sometimes we moms get so busy in our own houses or our own cars and our own routines and it can feel like we're alone dealing with preschoolers and babies and endless conversations about poo and endless administrations of time outs for everyone but ourselves. Then our paths cross for a minute and we know we're not alone. I like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes--that was kind of you, and nice that you shared that moment.

We had our first friend party here at 4 too, and it was a big hit.

Janelle said...

I love the encouragement you can get from a stranger. It's so much better than "All boys? That's too bad." or "You sure have your hands full!"

I happen to love having all boys and yes my hands are full, but so is my heart!

Our first friend party was at 5 and we're on an inbetween year right now :-)

NOBODY said...

possible? maybe.
Insane? yes.

Only when it comes to going out with kids, do I wish I started birthing when I was 12. Then I could have spaced my kids 8 years apart and only ever have to mind one at a time. :)