11.26.2006

Next on the Horizon...






Calvin has literally been waiting since Henry's birthday in July for his birthday to come. ("First there's the 4th of July, then Dad's birthday, then Dad gets home, then Mom's birthday, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then YOUR birthday!!!")

We also have determined that every fourth birthday* is a friend party (not just family over for cake and ice cream), so this is his first big one.

My brain is saying, simple, simple, simple - they're four years old; my vain brain is saying, but their parents will probably stick around to see the shebang and you need to impress them. Added to the fact that we live in an area where if you don't rent a moonbounce or a $50/hour face-painter/magician/balloon artist, your party is a bust. I'm feeling a tiny bit of stress.

I am reassured by the fact that we (Calvin and I) have cooler friends than that. And I'm going for the kind of party my mom would throw - a cute cake, some home-made fun, and some wild animal safari games. A four-year-old's dream, right?

One of my favorite memories is actually of my sister's birthday one year. Remember "slip'n'slides?" They were really pricey when they came out, but my mom made one with a sheet of black roofing plastic and a sprinkler, and then she even belly-slid on it with us!! I have a picture. My mom can be really cool like that. I'm afraid I'm not as fun, but we'll give it a whirl.

Look for jungle safari pictures after Friday. And pray that there will be sunshine so we can do a couple things outside instead of all in our little house...

*It's a little much to have a huge shebang every single year, plus we figure four years old is the first time kids really have friends that they have opinions about inviting and that they will remember and enjoy at a party; eight is their baptism year and extra cause for celebration; twelve is their growing up year - junior high, graduate to youth program at church, boys get the Priesthood; and sixteen is just sweet. The other years are celebrated, of course, but just within family - special outings with mom or dad, etc.

14 comments:

someone else said...

Well, it sounds like you have the right idea as far as the "shebang" goes. Little kids are so easy to entertain -- it's the mommies who make you crazy. Hope it goes really, really well for you.

Blogger profile name said...

Don't sweat it with the big shebang! I am amazed at the huge goody bags some people send home. My son went to a birthday party last weekend where he won a $15 Blockbuster gift card as a prize for a party game; that's more than we spent for the gift. The most fun my kids have had is when they actually made some sort of craft, which can be very inexpensive and use up some of the party time, i.e., keeping them amused.

One birthday party mom bought a bunch of foam visors and a big bag of foam letters, shapes, etc. and let the kids decorate their own personalized visors. It probably wasn't too expensive, and the kids had a great time and wore them until they fell apart.

Carrot Jello said...

You ARE Martha Stewart. Don't deny it. This just confirmed it. Any other mother would just go buy invitations. ;)

Angela said...

Those invitations are even cuter than I imagined. And I imagined CUTE. But, why did you white out the location? I'd really like to come....
I also LOVE the every 4 years idea. I'm going to steal it.

Gina Conroy said...

I had a safari birthday party for my second son for his first birthday. I had all the kids come dressed up as jungle animals. That's all they really did.

I've had big parties for my kids every year because we don't have any family in town and I just love the fun of planning them. Of course, my hubby hates big home parties because I always end up asking him to build something out of cardboard. Last year it was a pink maze castle for Grace's 4th birthday.

With 4 kids we don't always have big parties at home anymore. In fact, since some of my kids have birthdays that are close, we've even combined them and had on big party at a play place. The older they get the more they love parites like that.

I've also alternated home parties. Two kids at home, two kids elsewhere and that usually helps.

It's a ton of work, but I wouldn't trade the memories or the photos. I think I've done every kind of party you could think of. If you need an idea in four years, you'll know where to find me!

Nettie said...

Darling invite! It sounds like you are planning exactly the kind of party I like. We recently went to a bowling alley party for 6 year olds. There must have been 30 kids there. And it was so loud (There were at least a half dozen parties going on at the same time) and the kids hardly interacted. I kept thinking a nice game of duck, duck, goose with a fraction of the kids would have been so much funner for them. And cheaper for the parents!

Dawn said...

That's a good idea, every four years. Care Bear attended her first friend party a couple of weeks ago and she was beside herself with excitement. She hasn't had one yet - but I know it'll have to be next year. She'll be 5. Cute pictures!

utmommy said...

That invitation is so cute, and so is the picture of the boys in your last post!

Anonymous said...

Oh my- SUPER cute invites!! :) My goal if we ever had lotsa kiddies was to do BP's every so often-- but, I guess a perk with having only one would be we have them every year. :)

Tammy said...

A safari theme sounds very fun! :D

And I remember when the slip n slides first came out...they were great! But we bought one for our girls, and unfortunately at age 4, my youngest just slips...and then gets hurt and cries. :(
That's so cool that your mom made one instead, though!

I'm sure your little guy will LOVE his safari party and have a "roaring" good time!

Super Happy Girl said...

Super cute invitation!
I hope all his little wishes come true (and yours too).

"...vain brain is saying..., may the best brain win.

Millie said...

I like the every four years idea, and that invite is to DIE FOR. My goodness, how cute.

You've been tagged. No pressure! :)

Anonymous said...

NOW you tell me I didn't have to have huge kiddie parties every year! Dang.

And you made that adorable invitation. Ok, I feel even mroe inadequate than I did before I came here to read.

I wanna be YOU when I grow up! :grin:

The Amazing Trips said...

I love the invitation - that is SO clever!!

Slip-n-slides were the absolute coolest when I was a kid. I can't wait to see the jungle safari pics!!