12.06.2006

Turkey Day Revisited

Before I move on to Christmas, this has to be put out there...

Henry was extra cranky one morning last week so I took him upstairs for a little earlier than usual afternoon nap and thought I would fix Cal some lunch when I came back down.

Apparently, the ten minute naptime routine with Henry was more than the carnivore in Cal could handle, because when I came back to the living room, this is what I saw:





Yes, that's a turkey leg roughly the size of Calvin's own leg (or head, for that matter!). I was going to make soup or something out of it, but Cal made it into a nice lunch for himself.

His chin was greasy, and he just kept biting off big hunks of cold meat and saying, "This (chomp, chew, gobble) is soooooo (chomp, chew, gobble) goooood, Mom!"

It took a few days before I could look at the pictures. And a few days more before I could post about it. But now I only gag a little. And I almost have some level of pride. The boy could hold his own at one of those authentic Renaissance feast re-enactments, don't you think?

11 comments:

Valarie said...

that is a little gross. I can see why it took awhile to be able to post about. I'm a boneless, skinless poultry kind of person.

Super Happy Girl said...

"Look MA! a turkey leg skin and all!!"
He He
He looks so happy :)

Just because I want to gross Valarie out (and whoever else wants to get grossed out): in Mexico it’s perfectly acceptable to feed your toddler chicken soup with the chicken feet in it...and then let said toddler grab the foot and suck/chew on it.

True story. I used to let my kids do it.
Not anymore, because they are teens and now we are Americanos.
:D

Code Yellow Mom said...

Valarie - I'm glad I wasn't the only one a little put off by the scene. Thanksgiving is the only time I handle poultry (or any meat) that still resembles its whole animal form.

NCS - I now know what I could use chicken feet for. (If I could remember how to do links in a comment, I could be cool like you and link to Millie's "um" post...) I'm with you, though - I don't think I could bring myself to fix chicken feet soup in America.

I did eat a duck head once from a bowl of soup, though. All except the eyeballs and a little bit of tough tendon around the neck. The brain wasn't bad, with a little salt. Also happened not in America. :)

Amanda said...

Okay, now I am going to throw up (no I am not pregnant lol)! Chicken feet and duck heads.....ewwwww!

That picture is too funny! I am glad that you were finally able to share it with us. :D

someone else said...

Never a dull moment, eh?

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! er...Turkey!

someone else said...

Did I miss an announcement somewhere? You're expecting a baby? Congratulations!!

Carrot Jello said...

Maybe he is part caveman?

T.S. Eliot said...

Yeah that's gross. Funny, but gross.

Super Happy Girl said...

The brain wasn't bad... Ok, you win.
I have had brain, but never out of a duck head, in soup (minus the eyes).
Was this in Ukraine?

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you for getting past the urge to gag and taking those shots. I'm sure they're even cuter when you aren't pregnant. That leg is.....aaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh.

I love his commenting on it as he eats. And what an autonomous little guy. "Food provider is gone, must find animal leg...mmmmmmmm"